A student being evaluated in sign language by a deaf person.

Sign Language

Learn conversational sign language including Filipino Sign Language, deafness and deaf culture as well as PWD sensitivity training.




The Certificate in Sign Language Interpreting shall be a one-year post secondary program especially designed for any hearing person who has the burden to help the deaf understand the world that surrounds them. This aims to professionalize sign language interpreting in our country and to train professional interpreters.

This course defines the proper place of the interpreter in the deaf community, as envisioned by the Philippine Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf as well as deaf associations like Philippine Association for the Deaf (PAD) or Philippine Federation for the Deaf (PFD). The student shall be trained to interpret in legal and medical concerns of the deaf. The interpreter’s training also covers socio-political, psychological and spiritual assistance to enable parents, schools, employers and public officials to communicate with the deaf.

This course also aims to fill the pressing needs for interpreters who are regularly recruited abroad as community workers and interpreters for the deaf.

A certification shall be awarded after a successful examination and immersion in the local deaf communities as final evaluation for this one-year certification program.

Is this recognized by the Philippine government?

Yes it is recognized by the government under the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) with TESDA Registration No: NTR0313020066. View the official TESDA website to see the authorized course.

What are the requirements?

In order to be accepted in this program a prospective student:

  • Must at least be a high school graduate although any bachelor’s degree course from any college or university is of greater advantage;
  • Must be proficient in both English and Tagalog;
  • Must have an interest and aptitude in this career;
  • Must be physically and mentally fit;
  • Must have no physical deformities especially in hands.
  • Prior sign language skill is an advantage but not necessary.
What jobs can I get?

After the hearing person graduates, he/she may be employed as:

  • Resident/Company Interpreter;
  • Court Interpreter;
  • Hospital Interpreter;
  • School for the Deaf Trainor;
  • Personal Interpreter;
  • Teacher for the Deaf (if supported by equivalent bachelors degree);
  • Work in USA or Canada as Teachers of Interpreters for the Deaf;

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *