Manila Christian Computer Institute for the Deaf Training Director Jojo Esposa Jr. and Deaf Coordinator Ervin Reyes were the resource speakers on the “Inclusive Hiring Process of Persons Who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing” together with HOHGroup Philippines President and former MCCID Student April Rose Escaros conducted by the National Council on Disability Affairs.
The event was held at Sequoia Hotel from November 11-14, 2019, and was attended by representatives of NCDA member-agencies. Sir Jojo gave a short deaf sensitivity training as well as pointing out the common apprehensions of companies in hiring deaf workers such as:
Please support our sponsor:
- They can’t hear our instructions.
- We don’t know sign language. We need to hire a sign language interpreter just to accommodate them.
- The deaf can’t hear their voices so they cannot control them. It would be a bother to the rest of the office workers.
- It will be difficult to talk to them.
- They can’t understand English or Tagalog. They can’t lipread. We don’t have time to write instructions on paper.
- We don’t have time and additional manpower to train them. Maybe they are difficult to train.
- They are not aware of what is happening around so they are prone to accidents.
- We’re sure deaf people cannot adjust to pressures in the office.
He then provided advice on how to address these concerns.